Monday, November 14, 2005

 

I'm still working on a tagline

Hey everyone...time for me to update the masses on the news they have already heard. Starting with the Kalamazoo, MI promise to pay tuition for all its students. Article here. I have to step back and ask whether this should be viewed as a good thing or not. It doesn't appear that there is any qualifier for the funding and it also doesn't specify whether or not there is a cap on the amount, but it seems like a pretty simple way to increase the amount of time people spend in college (I'm sure anyone who knows me already knows I believe American's are vastly overeducated and that increased funding of higher education is simply a waste of resources...anyone who wants to throw out arguments about why we should have be striving to increase education levels of the populace should check out E.G. West's research on the topic before they waste my time) and I can't help but think that this act of altruism will provide some extremely interesting data in the long run. I would expect that it will increase the number of low wage manual labor establishments that operate in that area since the annoynomous funding will subsidize the company and allow them to pay less. I also doubt it will have any effect on the number of college students from Kalamazoo who actually GRADUATE college. The ones who have the work ethic to put themselves through college and the capacity to do the work are already putting themselves through college and doing it. Bottom line, as an economist I'll be fascinated by the data this provides in the long run but I also think this is a waste of resources.

Hollywood unions are mad because of product placement in tv and movies. This seems like another instance where the unions are at odds with the customers of the products. I think most viewers are pretty clear that they prefer strategic product placement to two minutes of commercials every 8 minutes. My favorite part is at the end of the article when they state that if they can't convince the producers to do what they want that they will go try and get the government to force them to do what they want.

WWE's Eddie Guerrero was found dead in his hotel. I heard this several times in the car today but they never said what from. Apparently we don't know yet and won't for awhile, but I'd like to ask newscasters to simply say that someone was found dead from "unknown causes" if that is the case rather than have us sit there going "what the hell did he die from?" Probably not a really big deal, but one of my pet peeves.

Comments:
It's nice to see that you are finally getting some wear out of this blog. You can't hide behind the 'but, dear, I don't update because I spend all my time with you' anymore.
 
"I'm sure anyone who knows me already knows I believe American's are vastly overeducated and that increased funding of higher education is simply a waste of resources...anyone who wants to throw out arguments about why we should have be striving to increase education levels of the populace should check out E.G. West's research on the topic before they waste my time."

Anyone who wants to argue that Americans are over-educated should have a care as to the correct placement of apostrophes and hyphens.

I'm just saying.
 
My typos and misuse of punctuation have nothing to do with education...they are the result of my laziness.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?