Saturday, October 15, 2005

 

Ooooh, Snaps.

I'm listening to past Supreme Court Oral Arguments on C-Span radio (Lawrence & Garner v Texas 2003) and one of the Justices asked if this was a state law in Texas in the 1830's. The lawyer responded, "I don't think Texas was a state in the 1830's." Texas became a state in 1845.

I love those little stabs during Supreme Court Oral Arguments. My favorite I used in a passage for a History of Women in America paper I wrote during college. During oral argument in the Roe case the Texas attorney stated that the woman makes her choice to have the child at the time of conception, which caused one Justice to respond "maybe she makes her choice when she decides to live in the state of Texas."

The girl I'm seeing doesn't find these exchanges that interesting so I'm relegated to sharing them with my small readership.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?