Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

bad weekend...bad

Well,

I lost my wallet, cell phone, and glasses on the weekend. I'm pretty much useless and unable to function with no access to money, sight, or calling anyone I know. That being said, there was some good news. Erin swooped in to rescue me and took me out on Sunday to buy me glasses so I could see and to make sure I had enough food until I get an I.D. so I can write a check or get a credit card so I actually have access to my own money. She is also taking me to see Meatloaf tonight. In tribute to tonight's Meatloaf concert please enjoy the following lyrical prose:

Wasted Youth
Wasted Youth
I remember everything!
I remember everything little thing, as if it happened yesterday
I was barely seventeen,
and I once killed a boy with a Fender Guitar
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it wasn't at all easy
It required the perfect combanation of the right power chords
And the percise angel from which to strike!
The guitar bled for about a week afterwords
And the blood was zoot, dark and rich, like wild berrys
The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry red
The guitar bled for about a week afterwords
But it rung out beautifly
And I was able to play notes that I had never even heard before
So I took my guitarAnd I smashed it aganist the wall
I smashed it aganist the floor
I smashed it aganist the body of a varisty cheerleader
Smashed it aganist the hood of a car
Smasned it aganist a 1981 Harley-Davaidson
The Harley howled in pain
The guitar howled in heat
And I ran up the stairs to my parents bedroom
Mommy and Daddy were sleeping in the moonlight
Slowly I opened the door
Creeping in the shadows right up to the foot of their bed
I raised the guitar high above my head
And just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down upon the center of the bed
My father woke up, screaming "STOP!"
"Wait a minute.
Stop it boy.
What do you think your doing?"
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument"
And I said, "God Damn It daddy,"
"You know I love you,
But you've got a hell of a lot to learn about Rock n' Roll"

That being said, my weekend was not as harsh or cruel as it could have been thanks to Erin and also Jason. So thank both of you. Oh...and for people criticizing Firefly and Serenity for being anachronistic, Glen Whitman makes a good
point in reference to the new movie:

"This is sci-fi the way I like it: gritty and realistic, not clean, white, and shiny. (Perhaps not coincidentally, Serenity's characters use "shiny" as slang for anything desirable.) George Lucas originally conceived Star Wars as a space western, but I don't think he ever succeeded in creating a true frontier feel, while Whedon does. For sci-fi fans weaned on Star Trek and its ilk, Whedon's vision of the future probably seems strangely anachronistic -- why, for instance, are people still using projectile weapons when there are laser guns to be had? But this is actually a more realistic model of technology adoption. We've had central A/C for decades now, but lots of people still cool their homes with window units. Cars from the 1960s are still on the roads. Durable capital has a way of sticking around, even when it seems obsolete, because the marginal improvement in quality doesn't justify the full cost of replacement. It's no surprise that hardscrabble space smugglers would be using less-than-current technology. "

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?