Monday, March 21, 2005

 

Hi again...i'm not dead yet

The sexy Irish sweetheart I met last weekend has not called me back. I'm not going to get down about it though. What I have decided to avoid after this weekend though is the bar scene. I need a place where I have room to dance and the willingness of the women to dance with me. I don't always get the latter, but at least I have the former at a dance club. The bar was crowded and not much to speak of. I did however have my first tequila sunrise which was great. Tequila is my friend.

This coming weekend is going to be an excursion into the world of karaoke with Jay. I'm going to be drinking heavily, but I will prove to him that I am not a menace to myself or others when drunk. Unless you count the fact that I fully intend to get him on stage to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart with me. I'm looking for suggestions of other songs he and I might be able to perform a duet on. Bear in mind, neither one of us has any singing ability but then again, that's why they serve alcohol at places like this.

Okay so I haven't done the interesting stories links lately. Well, time to take care of that...

Germany has high unemployment rates, so why is a guy who is helping people get work getting such grief? Story here.

Abstinence pledge doesn't affect STD rates. Story here.

Low sugar cereals aren't really any better for you. Very brief story here.

Via Newmark's door, this story is depressingly funny. You have to love this intro "TORONTO - A letter from the Moncton Hospital to a New Brunswick heart patient in need of an electrocardiogram said the appointment would be in three months. It added: "If the person named on this computer-generated letter is deceased, please accept our sincere apologies."

Diamond wedding rings through sheer force of marketing seem to be making the way into China's culture. Interesting story, but I can't help but think that the story being missed is the increasing bargainning power women are beginning to gain in China. It isn't men who are pushing for diamond engagement rings, regardless of the advertising that is done.

Okay...enough of all that. Now a few quotes to round out my post for the day.


"Death is not evil, for it frees man from all ills and takes away his desires along with desire's rewards. Old age is the supreme evil, for it deprives man of all pleasures while allowing his appetites to remain, and it brings with it every possible sorrow. Yet men fear death and desire old age."

Giacomo Leopardi

"Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind."

Giacomo Leopardi


"True love makes the thought of death frequent, easy, without terrors; it merely becomes the standard of comparison, the price one would pay for many things."

Stendahl

This one is for Matt:

"I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."
Jack Handy


"If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now."
Jack Handy

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're gonna feel all day." - Dean Martin

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best

"There are better things in life than alcohol, but alcohol makes up for not having them." -- Terry Pratchett

Okay...that's it for today. Peace out.

Comments:
Comment the first:

Of course the Shrink is you friend. Look into my eyes...

Comment the second:

It doesn't help the whole "I'm really not gay" line you keep pushing when you sing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on stage with my partner. I'm just saying...
 
You should karaoke that song from "Dirty Dancing". The one at the end when they do the dance scene.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?