Tuesday, December 21, 2004

 

I'm finding lots of stories recently.

The Economist has this interesting article on President Bush and his religiousity.

"Mr Bush is in fact in the mainstream of recent presidents. As Michael Cromartie of the Ethics and Public Policy Centre points out, Jimmy Carter taught Sunday school while president. Bill Clinton talked about Jesus more often than Mr Bush and has spoken in more churches than Mr Bush has had rubber-chicken dinners. "

I recommend reading the entire article, but this excerpt was something I hadn't heard before:

On his trip to Africa in 2003, Mr Bush visited a slave-trading post at Goree Island, in Senegal. “Christian men and women,” he said, “became blind to the clearest commands of their faith...Enslaved Africans discovered a suffering Saviour, and found he was more like themselves than their masters.”

Wow!...I'm not a religious man, but the eloquence of that statement alone deserves it worthy of mention no matter who said it and regardless of whether or not Bush came up with it himself.

Okay...on to a few other stories which should be more controversial, but will probably be considered less controversial than the above article.

Mom sues Wal-Mart over daughter's suicide.

"The suggestion that Wal-Mart should have checked prescription records infuriates Erich Pratt, a spokesman for the Virginia-based group Gun Owners of America. "Does that mean mental illness prevents everyone on Prozac from owning a gun? Or women with PMS?" he said. "

I have to wonder if his wife was holding a gun when he got home after the PMS comment?

A list of "notables" who died in 2004. I had to think twice about posting the list because I'm not sure how much I like the term "notables" but I figure my readers can take it or leave it as they like...so there you go. I'm also suprised by the number of entertainers included on the list, though I suppose I shouldn't be considering how much of a pop-culture-whore I am.

Board Game Lets Players Run Marijuanna Farm.

I so support Yahoo! on this case of refusing to release e-mail of dead soldier to relatives. Would you want your relatives reading your emails after you die?

Alright...that's probably it for today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?