Sunday, October 10, 2004

 

I'm actually only slightly more annoyed than usual.

I'm getting really tired of the mainstream press today. All weekend I have been hearing that the ISG report showed sanctions worked. As I posted earlier, this is not what the report said. The Economist got it right, even the NYT's in an October 9th piece indicated that the report does not indicate that sanctions worked. Of course, the op-ed pieces in the NYT's seem to indicate that the report said that sanctions did work. Argh...how can you even publish an op-ed that offers "facts" that contradict what you are reporting in the non op-ed section of the paper?

Here is one for you...the media could be attacking Bush on his claim that: "Non-homeland, non-defense discretionary spending was raising at 15 percent a year when I got into office. And today it's less than 1 percent, because we're working together to try to bring this deficit under control."

The truth is that after adjusting for inflation and population growth increases, the spending he is referring to is up 8.2% under Bush. I have a theory as to why this isn't a big story. Everyone wants to make it look like Bush is starving social programs across the board when that just isn't the case. I wish it were the case, but it isn't. Education spending alone is up 58% for Bush's first three years in office according to factcheck.org here.

As factcheck also notes: "The DNC ad also flunks the logic test, criticizing Bush both for increasing the federal deficit and also for not spending more -- which of course would increase the deficit even more."

Somedays you don't know why you crawled out of bed.

As a side note...the reason I crawled out of bed is because I struck out again last night and there was noone to pull me back into bed. Of course, I could always get one of these (thanks to MR for the link).



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?