Monday, October 18, 2004

 

Fischer won't leave the news.

How many times do I have to say that Fischer is the most overrated chess player of all time? Look at his games...please...I am utterly convinced that this obsession is just a vicious form of nationalism. Creativity? My god...put his games up against Korchnoi and tell me Fischer had even the remotest speck of creativity that Korchnoi had. I think the term that should be used when referred to Fischer is "technically proficient." He doesn't even excel technically. If you want a master of squeezing minute advantages for all they are worth, give me Ulf Anderson. His games are masterpieces. Average players see no advantage at all and he presses for 30, 40, 50 more moves until his opponent's position is revealed for the empty shell that it is. Why do I bring this up? Because apparently Fischer is outraged that he is referred to as the "Former Grandmaster." Ugh...please...get over yourself.

For those of you who are fascinated by the whole Fischer travesty anyway here is the latest installment in which Fischer's lawyer is apparently going to produce documents showing that there was a U.S. conspiracy against the former Grandmaster. Despite my contempt for Fischer as a man (I do believe you can have contempt even for the mentally disturbed) and my even greater contempt for the position that he has achieved in U.S. Chess as some sort of icon, I am still drawn to his story in a way that I can't even explain. I'll post more on this later, but I need to get to Starbucks before they close.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?