Sunday, July 25, 2004

 

Working on a Sunday (part 356 of countless more)

Well, I'm in the office on a Sunday yet again.  It is a choice, I'm not being mandated too or anything like that, I just don't really have anything better to do...plus I didn't get much work done on Friday so I feel like I need to compensate.  I worked on Sundays, almost every Sunday in fact, when I was back in the banking industry.  Now I am in the government and here I go again.  People are going to start thinking that I'm so incompetent that I can't get everything done in the same  amount of time that everyone else does.  Of course, I don't have much of an incentive to get everything done as quickly as others.  If I had everything done, then I wouldn't have anything to do and since I don't have a girlfriend or family to spend my time with I would just end up being miserably depressed about how I have nothing to do.  Speaking of Sunday though, I always pull out the Kris Kristofferson on Sundays.

Those of you who are Kris fans will know exactly why.  Among other lyrical pieces of brilliance, I am thinking of "Sunday Morning, Coming Down." 

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
Makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothin' short of dyin',
Half as lonesome as the sound,
On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
Sunday mornin' comin' down.

On a more interesting note, it looks like Microsoft is looking to unload Slate.  I find this interesting because I read slate, but often times I find myself wondering why.  It is not a newspaper and its articles feel more like op-ed pieces than stories.  Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who only listens to radio programs or news shows that support my beliefs, but Slate has always struck me as being a particularly strange venture for as big and mainstream a company as Microsoft.  That is almost certainly not why Microsoft is looking to unload Slate.  The fact that it is simply not a profit generating enterprise and that they simply do not know how to turn it into one seems to be the reason.  In any case, it will be interesting to see what a new owner would do with it, especially if it is bought by a big company, like the Washington Post.  Clearly, whoever buys it is either looking for a vanity project or must have some ideas about how they can turn a profit off of the venture.  This may mean some big changes ahead for Slate readers.  The one thing I would hate  to see change is Landsburg's rather sporadic articles.  They are generally articulate and thoughtful pieces on "economic" topics and are written in a very understandable vernacular.  That being said, I occasionally find that he has either missed a very obvious point or has failed to explain the technicalities of an issue so that the reader is left with the stereotype of economists that they are not living in the real world.  Still, he is infinitely more consistent than Paul Krugman at the NYT.  If the NYT were to buy slate, I can only hope that Landsburg would feel it his duty to speak out against some of  Krugman's more fallacious arguments and inconsistencies.

Anyway, back to the grindstone for a little bit. 




Comments:
Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

Soon you'll be wanting an iPod.

Matt
 
Hey Matt...In reference to your comment here is an article on the iPod you might find interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/07/22/bmnm22.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/07/22/ixartright.html
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?